After World War II, Brussels’ rolling stock was in serious need of rejuvenation. Pre-war trams were no match for the rise in car traffic. A first batch of so-called “PCC” cars was ordered from Belgium’s national builders. The “PCC” concept was based on studies made by various American tram (streetcar) systems and builders, to provide a modern, fast and comfortable tram. Brussels received a total of 172 motor cars of this type between 1952 and 1971. Their active service life ended in 2010.