Starting in 1950, the Belgian army ordered over 8000 light, all-terrain vehicles from the “Minerva” factory in Antwerp. They were built under licence from Land Rover and were similar to the famous American Jeep. Two vehicles were acquired second-hand by STIB in 1977. They were modified to carry equipment for small welding repairs on the metro lines. The vehicles were equipped with steel-rimmed wheels to enable them to run on the tracks.